Have you suffered an injury while falling on a sidewalk? Has your vehicle been damaged by a pothole? Has your property suffered damage as a result of work carried out by the City? You can file a claim with the City in the event of material damage or bodily injury. Here is how to do it.

Property damage

If you claim to have suffered material damage or moral damage, you must send the City a written notice of claim within fifteen (15) days of the date of the event, failing which the City is not bound. to pay damages.


If you claim, following an accident, to have suffered bodily injuries for which you wish to claim damages from the City, you can send a notice of claim to the City. Although this notice of claim is not mandatory in cases of bodily injury, it is desirable to send one as soon as possible.

In order to send a claim notice to the City, you can complete the claim form available above.

  • You can download and print it.
  • You can get a copy at the town hall, located at 137, route 132 Ouest, in Percé.
  • You can complete the form online.

It is important to send the notice within fifteen (15) days of the date of the event. In addition, the notice must mention:

  • your first and last name;
  • your address;
  • the cause of the damage;
  • the date and place of the damage;
  • details of the complaint;
  • the amount claimed.

If you cannot provide a specific amount within fifteen (15) days, indicate that you will forward the amount claimed later.

Complaint Form (PDF)
Complaint Form (ONLINE)

Material damage: period of six (6) months from the day of the event.
Bodily injury: period of three (3) years from the day of the event.

Before the expiry of this period, if your claim is not settled, you will have to take legal proceedings to interrupt the limitation period and retain your rights. Negotiations with the City do not have the effect of interrupting or extending the limitation period.

The City and its agents will conduct an investigation, following receipt of your complaint. This investigation does not mean that the City will recognize any responsibility or pay the amount claimed. These checks are made in order to determine whether the City is responsible for the damages and, if applicable, whether the amount claimed is justified.

Depending on your claim, a City representative may contact you, if necessary, to obtain additional information as part of the analysis of your claim file.

After its investigation, the City will render a decision on your claim. Three decisions are possible:

  1. The acceptance of your complaint and the payment thereof;
  2. Negotiations followed by a settlement offer;
  3. The rejection or rejection of your complaint.

You can accept or reject the City’s decision. If you refuse the City’s decision or are not satisfied with it, you can also take legal action. However, it is your responsibility to ensure that the limitation periods are respected.

For any additional information, you can contact the registry, by email at or by phone at 418-782-2933, extension 9-2003.